Oh hello, I didn't see you there. Welcome to the world of 125 Borden St. in the heart of the Annex, home of the world's first Squong championship. Our cheif exports include questionable living standards, flashless pictures of house parties, and Andrew's (We used to have two...)

Sunday, July 16, 2006

W-I-L-C-O



When I sat down on the bed next to you
You started to cry
I said, maybe if I leave, you'll want me
To come back home
Or maybe all you mean, is leave me alone
At least that's what you said


You're irresistible when you get mad
Isn't it sad, I'm immune
I thought it was cute
For you to kiss
My purple black eye
Even though I caught it from you
I still think we're serious
At least that's what you said

'At Least Thats What You Said' - A Ghost is Born (2004)

After that last line, they just rock out for like five minutes. It's more amazing live then I could have hoped for...

July 7th. Wilco. Massey Hall - a double edged venue.

Aside from The White Stripes at the Molson Amphitheatre - the ultimate in gawdy Toronto music venues - this was the best show I've ever seen; seen by fluke, enjoyed in full.

They called us 'motherfuckers' for not standing by half way through the show, an unfortunate by-product of cushy Massey Hall seating for those not cramped in the Alps. Jeff 'Two Encore' Tweedy - lead singer - was surprised at the lively response he got when he 'invited' Toronto to get into the show, still amazed Canadians needed invitations to fully enjoy a show they payed upwards of $50 for.

(Mind you, he had to ask first, and ask what they weren't doing that we wanted them to. The appreciation up to here had been respectful, but not exuberant. Tweedy was waiting for it to get rowdy - he wanted rock n' roll. Until then, he had gotten Sunday afternoon Concert-in-the-Park.)

Throw in a shirt for $35 - a poster for $25. Wilco was far from priceless: I spent in one night the retroactive back pay I got the day before from a raise at Queen's Park which was effective from April to June. Totally worth it, especially for one of the few bands that I'd allow myself to blow $110 bucks on...

Now if I can get up to Ottawa, they're playing Blues Fest...

...hhmmm...

(Oh yeah, I didn't take that picture either. I WISH we were that close. We got middle balcony seats, but dead centre. I got the photo from Google Images, now advertising themselves as the largest repository of online images on the internet. Google for President, man. They're taking it all over...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home