Oh hello, I didn't see you there. Welcome to the world of 125 Borden St. in the heart of the Annex, home of the world's first Squong championship. Our cheif exports include questionable living standards, flashless pictures of house parties, and Andrew's (We used to have two...)

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Edo, say it ain't so!!

If you haven't heard yet, you will soon. Regrettably, Edo Sushi, the best sushi place in town with their succulant spicy ebi maki starting at only $2.99, has burned down. It was a quite the scene that spring morning when I walked down Baldwin street, as I always do, on my way to the Papaya Tree, only to find Baldwin closed down where it meets Spadina. The girl at Planet Aid had to break the news to me. I could hardly believe it, especially considering just the night before Andrew Nelson and I had been munching on their raw fishy delicacies.


It is interesting to note that throughout our last meal there, there was this high pitched buzzing that no one could figure out. Was the fire already beginning at that point? Were we eating maki while the textile place next door was ablaze?? Furthermore, since they were putting up the chairs and closing the restaurant as we were leaving, we can (with a disturbing mixture of pride and nausea) claim that we were the LAST PEOPLE TO EVER EAT THERE!


Does sushi have a future? Definately. In the meantime I have to occupy my tastebuds with the likes of JunJun, Tokyo Sushi, and (the old standard who doesn't REALLY need our business) New Gen. None of these will ever replace Edo. It will forever remain in our hearts as a fantastic place to go when you're high and get like 30 pieces of sushi for under $30 after tax + tip. But much like New Gen, Edo will rise from the ashes and be reincarnated with their insurance money to be better than before! I predict not only a new Edo Sushi, but an Edo Korean Grill down the street!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home