Oh hello, I didn't see you there. Welcome to the world of 125 Borden St. in the heart of the Annex, home of the world's first Squong championship. Our cheif exports include questionable living standards, flashless pictures of house parties, and Andrew's (We used to have two...)

Thursday, July 17, 2008

This Week in Sports...


It was a busy week in the Sports World of Reever this week. And other than an appalling game by the Toronto Argonauts last week in Edmonton and a horrible showing in Week #3 in my CFL Pick 'Em pool, I'd say things are looking up. Let's start from the top...

BADMINTON - Sunday - Jimmie Simpson Community Centre on Queen Street East

Sweat my ass off in a CC basement with a bunch of Asian players, 49X better than I am, and not even breaking a sweat while they play that much better than I am. Probably shouldn't have worn grey - nothing shows the levels and degree's of sweat, and its creeping south movement from my neckline to the waist, quite like grey. Hell of a lot of fun though with Rev. MC n8 - sadly Kevin Dowse will not be joining us next Sunday, but it is his Birthday, so I'll let it go this time...

SOCCER - Monday - Lamport Stadium on King Street West at Dufferin Street

Maybe it was the stadium lights, maybe it was the fact that we had gone 0-2 in our first two games this season after finishing second of seven in the Spring season, but I told Courtney and n8 before the game that we had to win this one. And win we did, 1-nil, against a team of hard-core, aggressive Spaniards that reminded me of one of the reasons I was cheering for Deutschland in the Euro Cup final.

And who got that one, game-winning goal? I was able to fulfill my promise to myself that by the end of the season my soccer skills would have improved enough that I could score at least one goal, and it happened. I am now good enough at soccer to score one goal in the Toronto Community Sport & Social Club Recreational soccer league. Word. It wasn't pretty, but I got my own rebound, and booted 'er in with my left foot three feet from the goal line with the goalie sprawling on the ground.

The funniest part? I was so excited I lost my shit and ran down the field towards our team's end. I met n8 half-way down the field trying to put his shirt over his head, but since he was borrowing my sister's kids sized jersey it wouldn't fit over his head! I did the airplane swooping motion down the field, and even ripped my jersey off, left it in the middle of the field, and brandished my DDR soccer jersey underneath that I got when I was in Berlin in April. Thankfully everyone was really happy and excited for me, rather than wondering what the hell this asshole was doing. It was only one goal - and not even a pretty one at that!

I sheepishly tried to say sorry during the post-game handshake with the other team, but everyone says 'good game, good game, good game' so quickly I didn't have much time. Thankfully I didn't lose us any spirit points...Oops...

FLOOR HOCKEY - Tuesday - Ted Reeve Arena at Main Street and Gerrard Street East

Lack of girls was solved at the last minute when three showed up out of nowhere. I don't think people realize how big a hockey arena is until you have to run every inch of it to try and come back and win a game you know you can't. We lost 6-2, not a great showing, and now sit at 1-1-0. We tried to come up with a name, but I think we're going to stick with Team 4. It has memories...

SOFTBALL - Wednesday - Downview Park at Keele Street and Wilson Street

Normally I get nosebleeds this far north in the city, but thankfully not tonight. After an exhausting search for the diamond (Keele Street going north actually disappears from beneah your car - we found ourselves on Old Weston Road of a sudden) we get there and the game has begun. After a great opening inning, we get sluggish and our bats suddenly die on us against the only other undefeated team in our league.

Suddenly we're down by 8 runs, but then we bring it all back. We get seven runs in the 6th, and now its 12-10. But in the last inning we let in an easy run after a teammate yelled at Courtney for not getting a ball at home plate that had gone underneath the fence and would have required her to break or at least wrench her arm in order to retrieve it, and were down 13-10. A questionable call by our first base coach on my single forced me out for leaving the baseline when I had to scramble back to first, and we couldn't do much else. I had a lousy night offensively (0-4) but came up with a few catches at CF. We drop to 2-1-0, though still not bad...

And now I take a few days to keep packing for our move, and give me feet and arms a chance to recuperate. God speed little feet...

2 Comments:

Blogger PRQ said...

I like how you've resurrected the Borden House blog despite only having another two weeks of residence.

Also, it really is too bad that we couldn't join you for softball, because I could've given you most excellent directions to the field. I've played ultimate there many times!

12:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew, you make it sound like you'r a real jock, lol, but great to read how active you are. Keep at it! Dig in.
Courtney, hope you didn't/don't take peoples barking at you serious when the games are meant to be fun & enjoyed. Go gett'em slugger.

2:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home