Oh hello, I didn't see you there. Welcome to the world of 125 Borden St. in the heart of the Annex, home of the world's first Squong championship. Our cheif exports include questionable living standards, flashless pictures of house parties, and Andrew's (We used to have two...)

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Photo a Day for 6,797 Days


After I finished the Democracy Now! podcast for today, and after I had worked my way through the Audio Economist for the week, I was getting desperate at work for something to listen to keep my mind occupied with something - anything! - while I drone away. Searching through the CBC Podcasting website, I began rummaging through old episodes of Spark, CBC Radio's technology podcast. I picked one at random...

Although I listen primarily because of Nora Young's uncannily soothing voice - and because I could have sworn at a conference in 2007 we both attended that she was giving me the bedroom eyes from across the room despite the presence of a woman I took to be her partner - this podcast featured a story on a man who discovered a website whereby a man was digitizing 6,597 photo's that his deceased friend had taken in this life between 1979 and 1997 when he died. A photo a day, every day, for eighteen years. The photo listed above is widely known as the one which struck a chord with a majority of viewers: it is the photo of the day for October 5th, 1997, and it features an engagement ring and his wife of a month before he died, lying in the background, blurred.

The complete list of photo's can be found here.

The story is remarkable, and incredibly sad at the same time. It's worth a listen - and for more reason's than Nora Young's voice. I feel like I should post a missed connection about that on Craig'sList or something:

You: a widely known CBC Radio host with a voice I could swim in mediating a session at the Couchiching Summer Conference in 2007, standing casually cool with your partner at the post-session reception.

Me: a University of Toronto student known for asking asshole's tough questions at these conferences and ducking out before the old people hoard the microphone at question period, too shy to take your bedroom eyes up on their offer.

I thought our eyes met and something electric passed between us. Was I right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home